Unique folk dance festival El Medano Tenerife with most unusual theatre stage setup.
The international folk dance festival is only one of many Tenerife
cultural festivals. It was hosted again by the Tenerife province
Granadilla de Abona in the south of the biggest of all Canary Islands
between August 16 and August 21, 2011.
El Medano with its famous surfer beachfront was its podium for the eighteenth time.
The folk dancing celebration took place only one month after the island's renown Medano International windsurfing championships of mid July.
That made it the second highlight in such short a period.
Want news about the latest festival of this kind?
Scroll down or rather read later...
Impressions of the most relaxed South Tenerife folk dance festival 2011
- When: Peak of Summer in August
- Where: El Medano center hub by the town beach and Hotel El Medano
which also would be kind of a sponsor in 2015
- Matching attire: Crisp white blouses worn by young local boys and girls.
- Boys folk outfit: Narrow cut black trousers
- Girls folk dress: Floating wide red skirts with gold, black and white bottom stripes
with minimal headgear holding lady hair tightly in place.
- Overall Performance: Harmonizing general appearance with good choreography and folk music
- Detail: Red ballerina half boots graciously tapping the floor to a happy, fast rhythm.
What a great way of celebrating a summer's day with ocean breeze by a town beach under the sun!
Mind that you will not always find such good folk dancing during local Romerias off lately; International competition makes all the difference.
Most onlooker tourists were scarcely dressed for a day by the sea which was only a mere 10 or 15 meters behind their back.
It must be said that the temperature was 30 degrees Celsius, except under shade.
A young girl sat on the floor.
Her big, floral tattoo covered more of her skin than her pretty beachwear.
Some cameras were catching
the stunning event.
international village fair 2011
- Occasion: International folklore dancing festival
- Selling: Folk craftworks
- Made in: Ecuador, Chile and Uruguay.
- Kind of wares: Traditional cheese, liquor and sweets as well as tiny Timble guitars and straw hats made by Tinerfeños
Accommodation for el Medano folk festival
By the way, I took a taxi from my Hotel Monica Tenerife Aeropuerto Sur
to El Medano. The week-end taxi tariff from the hotel to El Medano was very cheap for €6 in 2011 for the 4 km that it took.
Now those 2015 news about the so-called Muestra Folclorica the XXII international festival of this kind of folk music, dance, arts and crafts of Granadilla de Abona
2015 news of international folk dance Festival