Fiestas del Carmen Los Realejos Tenerife Spain and Puerto Cruz.
Fiestas del Carmen of Realejos San Agustin are most likely to top by amount of activities all related religious traditions in the entire Catholic World.
These events of Tenerife North are so important that a new poster is created year by year.
Besides, they last as long as four weeks in July. Then, San Agustin suburb is attracting thousands of people. Its ancient celebrations fit in beautifully with its old quarters and its traditional ways.
However, Los Realejos wont miss out on the fun when the Virgen del Carmen of Puerto de la Cruz is taken out onto the ocean.
This so called Dia del Carmen takes place on the Tuesday before the 16. of July, hence on Monday
the 11th in 2017, for example. Then tourists also join enormous crowds
and also celebrate Puerto's patron saint of fishermen who is Saint Telmo
or San Elmo.
Meaning of fiestas of our Lady Mount Carmel worldwide.
- Juli 16 a Catholic church holiday celebrates the apparition of the Virgin the mother of Christ on Mount Carmel to Saint Simon Stock on that day in 1251.
- Lady Mount Carmel has been adopted by seafarers and fishing folk of all Tenerife harbors.
- Even La Laguna for and on behalf of Punta de Hidalgo fishing folks
One of numerous fiestas of Los Realejos
Needless to say, merry dancing, good food and wine play a big part
during the Fiestas del Carmen of Realejos. Streets abound with Folklore.
There, folk dress, music, ancient songs and Zarazuelas song plays are
presented. They belong to the Spanish customs of this oldest and one of
most wealthy provinces of the island. There, local wines are never
expensive. Affordable potatoes Papas Rojas and Papas Bonitas are
harvested in July. Even the poorest of
the poor party with them.
Reasons of importance of Fiestas del Carmen of Realejos
- In 1726, July 16 is declared day of worship of our Lady of Mount Carmel to all Catholics by Pope Benedict XIII
- Since 1725, ownership by the San Agustin Realejo Bajo church Virgen del Carmen of a most beautiful wooden Madonna statue donated by the school in Genua of Antón Maria Maragliano
- Since 1729, Fishing and sailing folk from Puerto de la Cruz have taken part in the Realejos Fiestas of our Lady Mount Carmel, as they had no sculpture by that name.
- Church Iglesia del Carmen San Agustin of Realejos destination of pilgrimage for devoted Catholics of Tenerife North since 1904
- Early in XX A Marian apparition to a South American woman near the Paraglider Pistes of Icod El Alto
- In 2015 on its fiftieth anniversary, Iglesia de Nuestra Señora del Carmen at San Agustin of Los Realejos became a Catholic sanctuary under Pope Francis (Francisco in Spanish)
- Many fishermen guilds and sailors take part in the Fiestas del Carmen in all Tenerife harbor towns, as the Lady of Mount Carmel is their patron
- July 16 is during main Tenerife school holidays, ideal for celebrations, sports competitions, triathlons partly in the ocean, you name it
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Virgen del Carmen ongoing Mayoress of Los Realejos and Patron of the Valley of la Orotava.
The Catholic devotion of the Realejos town folks is extraordinary. There on Wednesdays at the Sanctuary, women bring their new born babies to be blessed by Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
However, the celebrations also have a very mundane side. Needless to say, even worldly Fiesta queens are crowned for the occasion and Fireworks are never amiss.
Get a better idea about the July celebrations of Los Realejos by last year's activities here.
From Fiestas del Carmen back to Los Realejos
Back to HomePage of the Tenerife holiday home insider